13 August 2009

Hike 'til You Drop










 

.
Was able to convince everyone to roll out this morning because I made breakfast! We had talked about hiking on the drive up, and were prepared with day packs, but it was seeming a little less likely that it would get done.
.
The trail map afforded us all our own hikes! After leaving the cabin at about 9:30 we took in the view of hazy peaks as the morning air thinned a little with the rising sun - beautiful! We hiked the rim of the canyon together and separated when it was time for me to drop down into the "abyss". In the 4 hours of hiking by myself I only saw one other person; it was incredible!! The river down at the bottom was pure, cool & tasty!
.
We met up again on the other side of a small feeder canyon and agreed that this hike was mostly what we were seeking in the trip. I'd hiked about 15 miles and they did a little over 6. They had the luxury of a full lunch and I ate nuts,fruit and river water as I continued - they only beat me to the meeting spot by about 20 minutes so it worked out perfectly.
.
I'm getting better at afternoon naps! Was pretty much out from 5 to 7 and we're planning to see if there's any nightlife in the two towns soon. This is so wonderful - if only it were living reality and not just a memorable trip!
.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, fifteen miles! Fifteen? That is CRAZY!!! Sounds awesome though! The pictures you have been posting from this trip have me so jealous I think my tan is turning green with envy!!!

    Glad you're having such a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kimberly! The sights and the adventure made it feel like a little less. Remember, too, that almost half of that was downhill - haha..

    You are so much fun - enjoying our trip, too... Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I'll reply soon with my own comment!