09 October 2009

...Ugh...Obsessed...

-a class canceled and nothing to do except waste time and listen to music-

This time...about the music of Coldplay (you knew that already didn't you?). I heard Viva la Vida on the radio again this morning - Happy Friday! - and I'd already been wondering what it is that makes me want to play that particular single over and over again?

Okay...so here it goes with a few common themes in music that really turn my volume dial... (Go easy on me cuz ima musical juvenile, but I knows what I likes, heh...).

Start with a simple melody - you know... the kind that can get stuck in your head like a lullaby.

Add a second simple melody which creates harmonic resonance with the first melody and one or two distinct dissonant beats where the waves fall together to create a perceived beat. I've known about this technique since I was 12 or so because I'd read a short book about J.S. Bach on music and math - two loves. That naturally led to a delight of Mozart and Beethoven's creations and the 3 have since been my favorite composers. Work on out the list with Haydn, Chopin....

Okay...back to Viva la Vida.... I appreciate a tempo or even a key change to add drama to the otherwise slow build. And then drop back down to continue playing "the story" in its full drama.

Rich vocals - words - I've mentioned off and on through the years that words, if written alongside classical masterpieces, could further set them out as wonders to students of literary devices. Opera, if I could handle it, moves hard to that direction, but it's usually just too complicated and sloppy to me.

The lyrics to Viva la Vida play to my love of a just revolution...easy there...I'm not an anarchist, but was raised on a steady diet of the status quo. In the last 2 years I've tended to listen more intently to notions of injustice and potential solutions against all odds. I've always been a fan of the underdog and will easily defend someone who asks for help or clearly needs protection or defense.

Those words...they're not all about revolution, though... Yeah, and the story is told from the perspective of a fallen leader who now sees the error of his brazen ways. He's to be pitied, perhaps, but I hear it as a reason to rail against all brazen leaders...attempting to enlighten them because it's only their perspective which has them acting in their current ill-formed manner.

"It was the wicked and wild wind, blew down the doors to let me in, shattered windows and the sound of drums, people could not believe what I'd become"

...and then there's the question of the church (another whole series), but I love the church and the wonderful ways and people. It's almost the reverse of those -also present in the church- that tires me so....

"Hear Jerusalem bells are ringing, Roman Catholic choirs are singing, be my mirror my sword my shield, my missionaries in foreign field, for some reason I can't explain, I know St Peter won't call my name, never an honest word, but that was when I ruled the world"

Coldplay tours Latin America in early 2010 and I wanna be a fanboy... hitting every concert. Unfortunately, I'll have school, reading the reviews written in Spanish and Portuguese...and dreaming of having been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I'll reply soon with my own comment!